Saturday 22 August 2009

Nostalgia

So part of this sorting out the house exercise that we're fully involved in at the moment involves going through old stuff and getting rid where necessary. A rather inevitable result of that is finding things you'd forgotten about - old memories and stuff.

The main thing that's struck me this morning is finding a box full of old letters from people (remember those?!?!). Predominantly from 3 people - my cousin, my grandfather and my great-grandmother. What things they bring back! The tales of my cousin's experiences of Americans while spending time out there, followed by various tribulations of starting university and the new experiences that brings. My grandfather's mission to convert the village horticultural society (of which he had become chairman despite an utter lack of interest in anything plant-based) into a wine club! My great-grandmother's general insights into life.

It's amazing what you can find when you start opening boxes and thinking 'gosh I wonder what's in this one' - 2 hours later you're still reading!

It's quite fun though! :-)

1 comment:

alex n rik said...

awww; you got me feeling all reminiscent! I've got a whole pile of letters from you n Gillian - but they're still in Matlock and every now n again Mum says to me "when you gonna clear out your room?" NEVER MUM!!!